' sede' - to give up. 'leve' - to get up. 'ale' - to go.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Be quiet, be still.

We tell our kids here all the time. Sit down. Be quiet. Stop moving. Be still.

But are we ever still?

Today I sat out on the balcony of my home-drinking tea. My mind wandering.

Absently gazing, I found myself focused on watching the clouds on their constant and easy voyage behind several tall pines.

Carefree and nonchalant, consistent. They cruised by. Playing tricks on my mind, in and out of focus. And then I thought.

You are tiresome Elizabeth.

You can't even stare at the sky without a full mind.

Leave those harmless clouds alone.

And it's true.

I find it beautiful, the calm and fixed march of the clouds. I don't worry that they aren't in a hurry. That they won't arrive to their destination in time. I'm not preoccupied with their methods, nor wary of their disposition. I simply sit back and enjoy the sky.

And why should my life be any different. Can I not sit still and be.

Life is swirling all around me. So easily distracted, I'm often unable to be with myself. I'll get this drink, this novel. I'll check my phone, I'll run this errand, I'll answer this email. And then.

Then I'll be ready.

Then.

As if when all of those tasks are checked off our list- then we will be able to be with ourselves.

We will watch the clouds pass behind the trees as the sun disappears behind the mountain, and we will know we are a part of it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment