' sede' - to give up. 'leve' - to get up. 'ale' - to go.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ten fingers, ten toes, everybody knows

This is Charlie. I spent the morning with him. 5 months old, he is currently living with a woman who runs a clinic beside st. Joseph's. We call her mama V.

She took him from his mother several weeks ago.

She is going to keep him until she is able to take him to the states for life saving prosthetic treatment and therapy.

We're told babies come in all shapes and sizes. Red and yellow black and white.

Look at that sweet smile.

Those of you who know me well know that I am a baby fanatic. And this guy was a charmer.

He was also born without arms or legs.

When Vanessa took him, he was severely malnourished and feverish.

His mother did the best she can, but what can she do for a limbless infant. Her husband is dead and she has four older children.

She wants to give him up for adoption, but Vanessa urged her to keep him, vowing help, and that he could live with her family.

And I wonder. Holding this sweet baby through church and into the afternoon so that Vanessa could run some errands.

I wonder if I would be capable of raising a baby with out arms and legs.

I wonder if I would want to put my baby up for adoption.

I wonder if the grief and guilt would kill me.

Sometimes it's hard to imagine we deserve God's love.

And sometimes I take it when I know I don't.



No comments:

Post a Comment